Thanks to all of you who clicked through from the mailing.
For those who just happened to come across this post while perusing the website—thanks for that!—a recap is in order.
So here’s the quiz. Answers below.
- On what date in what year did the Fab Four visit Key West?
- What unforeseen circumstance brought them there?
- Where did they stay? What’s there now?
- At what Key West venue were they scheduled to perform?
- Did they meet Bert the Shirt while they were in town?
- The Beatles landed in Key West on September 10, 1964 and left on 9/11.
2. Hurricane Dora. The band had been scheduled to play a concert at the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, but the approaching storm forced the re-routing of their private flight. Key West was far enough south to be out of the path.
3. The Key Wester motel, across from Smathers Beach. The place was demolished in 1999. The site is now occupied by the Hyatt Windward Pointe. (That’s not a paid plug, just a bit of information!)
- Okay, this is a trick question. They weren’t scheduled to perform at all, but ended up doing an impromptu gig in the Key Wester’s bar. It went on until four a.m. and is the stuff of legend.
- Why not? Anything can happen in a novel…